Thursday, March 22, 2012

Stuff and De-cluttering

"He is richest who is content with the least." -- Socrates

How true these words are.  The world we live in teaches us from toddler-age up to consume, buy more, eat more -- it will make you happier.  Yet we live in a world of more disease (physically and emotionally) than ever in history.  Diseases brought on by lifestyle choices, not by infection by bacteria or viruses. 

Are people generally happier now than people were 150 years ago?  I say 150 years because that is early in the industrial revolution, before life was made "better and easier" by "modern conveniences".

For myself, I'm scaling back.  For almost a year, I've been de-cluttering, selling, donating and giving away my stuff.  I don't need the stuff to make me happy.  And I've found that by having less stuff to maintain and keep up with, I have more time to spend with family and doing what I enjoy.  I'll know I've de-cluttered enough when I look around in my home and find I am surrounded by only things I love and/or use regularly.  I still have a ways to go, but it's getting better every day.

What about you, is your stuff making you happier?  Or is it time to do some de-cluttering?

AnnDenee

No comments:

Post a Comment